Barangays > Poblacion

Logo Brief History


This place which was then the center of the municipality of Sablayan was first mentioned in the old documents of the Spaniards, in 1779. It was mentioned as a community of the Mangyans, the indigenous people of Mindoro. However, when the farmers from the island of Panay and the province of Cavite arrived, the indigenous people transferred to the mountains.

In 1829, it was indicated in an old map drawn by a Spanish missionary that the persons living in this place have two cannons which they used in fighting the Moro pirates.

In 1832, the missionary friar assigned in this community requested the governor general that the people in this community be exempted from paying taxes for two or three years since they were building the church, convent and fort. It was presumed that the request was granted for the cannons of fort were still on the hill where the weapons were installed and the old church was repaired by the Catholic faithful and is still being used at present.

That same year, in a written complaint against a priest which was sent by the people to the head of the Spanish government, the names of those who served as cabeza de barangay of this community were mentioned. They were Josef Leonardo, Agustin del Rosario, Eusebio de Leon, Leocario Manuel, Ignacio Carpio, Juan Salvador, Vicente Salvador, Juan Solit, Estanislao dela Cruz and Remegio Valenciano.

In one part of the autobiography of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo he mentioned that he exchanged goods with the people of Sablayan. Once when they went to this community the general recalled: when we arrived in Sablayan, my brother Benigno was left there to buy ‘nigeng pandampol’, rattan and ‘diliman’ used in fish corrals and beeswax used for lighting the saints in towns.

When the Filipinos revolted against the Spaniards in 1896, a group of revolutionaries was formed in this place by Capitan Pedro Fernandez, the capitan del pueblo of Sablayan. His group arrested Fr. Pedro Vicente, the Spanish friar who was assigned to this community during that time. The said priest, together with the other Spanish friars in West Mindoro was imprisoned in Taysan, Batangas and was only released when the Americans occupied the Philippines.

In 1901, during the American regime, this place was made as a barrio of Mamburao. After a year, the community was made as the center of the municipality of Sablayan which was created by virtue of Act 1280 of the Philippine Commission. The municipal building of the town was constructed in this place.

In 1955, Fr. Albert Cook, SVD opened in the Poblacion a kindergarten and high school. The school grew rapidly under the management of his successor, Fr. Luis Halasz, SVD. At present, it is called Colegio de San Sebastian.

When Hon. Leoncio Ordenes served as mayor of Sablayan, he constructed a new municipal building for the local government at the adjacent barangay of Buenavista.

During the term of office of Mayor Loreto Urieta, a concrete pier was constructed in Poblacion. A hospital was built by the Catholic Church in this place. At present, the said hospital is under he management of the religious sisters who are members of the Dominican Sisters of Sienna.

Barangay Officials

barangayofficial
Punong Barangay
Cesar Z. Mamitag Sr.
barangayofficial
Sangguniang Barangay Member
Ronilo S. Insigne
barangayofficial
Sangguniang Barangay Member
Robert b. De Lara
barangayofficial
Sangguniang Barangay Member
Aurelio I. Tulaylay
barangayofficial
Sangguniang Barangay Member
Rogelio R. De Lemos
barangayofficial
Sangguniang Barangay Member
Darrius U. Gonzales Sr.
barangayofficial
Sangguniang Barangay Member
Cristina Z. Bundang
barangayofficial
Sangguniang Barangay Member
Gemma T. Licop
barangayofficial
SK Chairperson
Emmanuel V. Zamora
barangayofficial
Barangay Secretary
Jane T. Gonzales

Tourist Spots

Mobirise Website Builder
Apo Reef Natural Park
Apo Reef is the world’s second-largest reef teeming with marine lush life and is one of the country’s scuba diving havens. This atoll complex is considered the largest of its kind in Asia. The reef is divided by a narrow lagoon surrounded by a century-old mangrove forest and populated by some 285 species of marine species, including sharks, stingrays, and mantas and school of jack and snappers, tropical and crevice-dwelling moray, blemish and gobi and 500 coral species. The Park has three bird-populated islands: the Apo Island, Apo Menor and Cayos del Bajo.
Mobirise Website Builder
Pandan Grande Island
Pandan Grande Island is a 30-hectare islet popular with snorkelers and divers, is located within swimming distance of a submarine drop-off inhabited by various marine species such as pawikan, dugong (sea cow), baby sharks, and other colorful reef fishes. A forest nestled in the center of the island is ideal for trekking and bird watching. Pandan Grande Island Beach Resort has amenities for guests who wish to experience a tropical island setting dotted with white beach islets and palm trees.
Mobirise Website Builder
Lumang Simbahan
Established as a parish in 1843 by the Augustinian Recollects, its stone church and convent was built from 1861-1866 under the leadership of Fr. Jacinto Perez De San Agustin. It was partially damaged by a tsunami in 1877 but was restored under Simeon Mendaza De Ibernalo from 1877-1879. In 1954, it was rebuilt after sustaining damage during World War II and restored by the National Historical Commission from 2017-2018, and subsequently declared a historical landmark.
Mobirise Website Builder
Parola Park
Also known as Presing Park named after the wife of former Mayor Loreto Urieta during his term. This Mountain Park was served as the setting of a historic watchtower and cannon built in 1861 against Muslim pirates and intruders ho used to raid the area. Round the clock watchers and defenders stationed there at signal or warn the people to hide while launching volleys of cannon fires to defend the town. Today, a lighthouse and an old cannon could still be found there. The park offers the best sunset view in town.
Mobirise Website Builder
Glass Bottom Boat
Glass Bottom Boat is one of the popular tourist activities in town, ideal for all kinds of tourists is the Glass bottom boat allows one to see the marine life and sightings of pawikan as the boat cruises slowly in every shallow reef and seagrass meadows of Pandan Grande Island.
Mobirise Website Builder
Sablayan 3 in 1 Adventure
Sablayan 3 in 1 Adventure consists of rappelling, wall climbing, and zip-lining, considered the longest island-to-island zip line in the world, covering a total cable length of 1.7km, and the first inter-island zip line with back-and-forth motorized pulley. It starts from Presing Park on the mainland and ends at Pandan Pequeño.
Footer Logo
Contact Us

Phone
Mobile
Email
Fax

Follow Us
About
  • Sablayan LGU official website is developed primarily to serve as a centralized platform for the public to access important information, such as public services, policies, announcements, and contact details for government officials.

HTML Website Creator